the kids

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

On Making a Decision and Being Okay With It (part III of III)

You might wonder where my opinion on the matter comes in, and why I was hesitant to post this stuff. Well, here goes. I am sick of the campaign “Breast is Best.” It makes mom feel guilty. For the most part, the people I talk to about babies are adults who have chosen to have children. They understand the importance of making good decisions. They understand the responsibility of raising a child. And yet, they dive in, head first, with the heart full of love and their head full of… well, questions. None of them would do something to hurt their child. None of them would deprive their child of any experience. They are all good mothers. You know how I know this? Because all of them have struggled over the decision of whether to breast or bottle feed… cloth or disposible… cry-it-out or co-sleep… pacifier or no pacifier… Robeez or shoes… and the list goes on.

So, back to Breast is Best. Yes, I agree, breastfeeding is natural. It is produced biologically for our bodies to create the perfect balance of nutrients (unless it no longer produces fat). Our bodies were made for it (unless it causes excruciating pain or the child cannot properly latch on). And, its convenient (unless you have to go back to work and your production does not keep up with demand). Oh, and it creates a unique bond between mother and child (unless you cry while you’re doing it).

Two mom friends have called La Leche League for support, but those volunteer mom’s of the League were so busy knowing that “Breast is Best” that these moms felt WORSE after talking to the La Leche League volunteers. Really? Is that how we want to do things?

Am I against breastfeeding? Absolutely NOT! I support my friends and family who want to try it and I try to be honest and kind to them. I loved breastfeeding James. Am I against formula? Absolutely NOT! I had only formula, my daughter had formula. Many of my friends have given their infant formula after returning to work or weaning their child. Baby J now drinks formula.
But, I am against the “Breast is Best” campaign because, I think that every woman should have the knowledge and information available to make an informed decision. My opinion is that breastfeeding is best when it works out for mom and baby. My hope would be that every woman would try breastfeeding, but the truth is, it does work out for everyone. We need to stop making people feel guilty for their choices. We need to let them make a decision, and be okay with it! “Best” in my opinion is when mom is happy, baby is happy, and all is well!

P.S. In all of the situation listed above, the “baby” in question was a girl. I’m just sayin…
P.P.S. None of the names of these moms have been included, but you know who you are and thank you for sharing your stories with me through the years!
P.P.P.S. For all of you people who read my blog from Facebook, sign up for a Blogger account so that everyone can see what you're saying! You have great comments!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, as usual. 5 years ago I was also very tired of the Breast is Best thing. Since James was adopted, we had to go the formula route and I hated feeling like I wasn't able to be the best mom to him.... But then Kasia was born and I do so love nursing her and my feelings on the subject have shifted to a certain extent. The one area where I think the Breast is Best campaign has made an important difference is in the hospital. I knew I wanted to breastfeed Kasia and it was in my birth plan. But after 36 hours of labor and a c-section, I was in no mood to figure out how to do it on my own. Without the fantabulous labor and delivery nurses making sure that she latched on within an hour of delivery and helping me out for the days in the hospital, I am sure I would have missed out on this amazing opportunity that works out so well for Kasia and I. And I think it is great that there is more of a push to have employers provide places for breastfeeding moms to pump. So those results of the Breast is Best campaign are, in my eyes, a very good thing. But the guilt? Not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sensing a theme with the whole happiness factor and I'm liking it. Feed baby the way that makes everyone happy, sleep the way everyone gets sleep(ie stays happy). There is enough guilt in the world of mothering that we don't really need national campaigns adding to it! Where is the happiness campaign???

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Becca: I think you're right, maybe "Breast is Best" has helped people be in a better mindset to try something, and it the campaign doesn't read "If-you-can't-breastfeed-or-don't-want-to-you're-a-bad-mother" but I think it implies it! But that is probably just the mommy guilt that makes us read between the lines!

    @Jessie: A happiness campaing, I love it! Anyone have any thoughts on a title for a national happy mommy campaign?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I was talking to John and he wants to know how wet nurses factor into all this talk. Did there used to be a stigma with wet nurses like there sometimes is with formula feeding? He doesn't think so, I sort of doubt it, but when did we switch from the "cool" people got to have someone else nurse their baby to the guilt if you aren't doing it yourself. But hold on now we just remembered that it was the 60's and it was the thing to do. This comment is going nowhere, I'm going to stop now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jessie There is always Wikipedia... Interesting stuff here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_nurse

    ReplyDelete
  6. More info (Interesting):
    http://www.breastfeeding-mom.com/wet-nurse.html

    John is right to raise the question, there was stigma about breastfeeding way back in the 16th century. Royalty stopped nursing their own babies so that the could get pregnant again faster. Sounds nuts to me, but other wealthy people followed suit as a way to keep up with the Jonses... the King Jonses in this case. This caused breastfeeding to be seen as something that only the poor and uneducated did. Sounds like reverse stigma to me. My how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete